I took a bit of a hiatus from blogging this summer and it’s time that I posed an update. I made several garments (dresses, skirts, a tank top and a romper) and will highlight the ones that I have photos of.
I revisited McCalls 6887, it’s actually a really great pattern. I had a lot of fitting adjustments to make in the first muslin, but I have now really warmed up to it. So in the summer I made 2 of the backless versions. The first is in a green raw silk which makes we want to drape myself in silk. All the time. I didn’t line it and used bias binding to finish the necks, arms and back. The bottom of the back gapes a bit but I fixed it in the next version. Those perfectly matched buttons are vintage from Button Button (they sell buttons). And my first button holes ever, yes, I lost my button hole virginity on this dress. (Make sure you articulate that sentence in your head correctly !)
Virginia and I on a patio in Yaletown, the night I convinced her to move back to Vancouver.
The second is the same, but in a cotton. I made a small adjustment to the back of dress where there was gaping in the first version. Other than that it’s almost straight out of the package! These dresses are very comfy, and I am loving this pattern the more i think about the dresses.
Wearing my Sallie romper at the Teahouse in Vancouver with friends
I made a Sallie Romper from Closetcasefiles following her tutorial on how to make the jumpsuit into a romper. This thing is seriously comfortable! I used a bamboo knit which adds to the comfort. I was slow to accept jumpsuit trend but now I am on board. My jumpsuit is also my first garment with leg holes.
Simplicity 1873 – striped version with Thai dress skirt
I had two weddings to attend this summer and I finally got my hands on Simplicity 1873 when I was in California this winter. I am still pissed Simplicity pulled out of the Canadian market especially because I had almost no adjustments to this dress. I did make a wearable muslin in navy blue viscose poplin which has a less fitted look to it due to the fabric relaxing.
The second version I made was for my long time friend Arabella’s wedding for which I was a bridesmaid. Not a lot of adjustments – an FBA, a tuck at the neckline, and letting out the seams by a smidgeon for more comfort for an August wedding. I could have gone up a size in the bodice but I thought Simplicity was going to pull a large ease surprise on me like McCalls, but the sizing was spot on.This dress is a blush pink jacquard poly crepe, lined in bemberg and I did a really nice job on the garment (very proud of myself) ! It’s does look over fitted to me in pictures, but you will see in the striped version how different fabric choices make bite differences in the fit.
No, I did not catch the bouquet!
For my friend Kelly’s wedding I used the same bodice with the large simple pleated skirt from Thai dress pattern. Fully lined, same adjustments as the blush version but more ease from the fabric choice. The stretch cotton sateen made for a roomier dress and gave a nice solid structure to the flared shape of the skirt and crisp pleats. .Such a great pattern, I hope I can wear these dresses out again.
Despite my hatred for PDF patterns I have been subscribing to Seamworks magazine. I made a cherry chambray Adelaide dress fits very well. Being a picky seamstress I will make a small FBA and a small adjustment on the straps next time. I picked up the fabric from Joann’s when I was in California earlier this year, along with another cherry print, both are from Gertie’s collection.
This was a long and hot summer in Vancouver. I saw many bloggists posting linen trapeze dresses that are breezy, and great in the heat. They are interesting dresses. They are not unflattering which is odd since they are essentially extreme a-line tents and I did feel like I was wearing a maternity dress. However, in the heat the linen viscose was an absolute dream. The photograph is not the best, but you get the idea. With a big statement necklace and wedges it is a cute look and an great alternative to my usual fit and flare style. I used a Burda pattern for it using bias binding instead of facings. I ended up taking out about 2 inches from the sides from under the bust dart that I also added. Immediately after I made this dress I made a tank top version from this pattern, same fabric.
Burda trapeze dress
There are other garments that I made this summer, but these are the ones I have photographs for. I have many plans for fall sewing but I just need to get my sewjo back again.