Ok, I just could not wait any longer for the proper invisible zipper foot I ordered weeks ago to come in so I finished my Sigma dress from Papercut Patterns. The zipper is not a stellar job but oh well, the next one will be better.This pattern is a semi fitted dress with a hem that makes it risky to bend over in. Like everyone warns, this dress is short! I added 2 inches to hem line and look how short it is ( I am 5’3″).
I love this dress, it is simple and there are many possibilities! This construction was simple and easy – a bodice with 4 darts in the front and 2 in the back, and a skirt with a small gathers around the pockets. The instructions were easy to follow, and the paper the pattern is printed on is sturdy (no tissue paper here!). The other dress options is a skirt with no gathers as well as just the skirts themselves. I plan on trying all the variations. I love conservative dresses with short hems, though not entirely work appropriate, but super cute. Good thing I lengthened mine so I can wear it to work.
I would also like to try to make another version of this dress but with a more fitted bodice. I am not sure if I should go down a size or alter the XS size that I used for this one.
The adjustments I made:
1. Half inch darts in the back from the neckline – necklines usually gape for me so I didn’t bother waiting to try it on before I made them. I will do this again next time.
2. Added 2 inches to the length of the skirt – I might try for 3 for my next one.
3. Lined the skirt with bemberg rayon.
4. Used 5/8 seam allowance for zipper instead of 3/8 for a closer fit.
5. Sleeves – I had originally put in the full length sleeve and thought it was too much pattern so I went for the 3/4 length look. Even though I marked and measured the sleeves when I was wearing the dress, somehow I got a bit too happy with trimming them and now they are elbow sleeves. I actually kind of like them!